You are not connected. Please login or register

Hola! Me llamo TabGuy y no me gusta el desu! Son muy ostentoso, no?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I'm TabGuy, no affiliation with the diet cola, and I'm a 17 year-old guy from Texas. My school only teaches the four 'main' LOTE- Spanish, French, German, and Latin. No Japanese! So for the past few months I've been struggling to teach myself the language while juggling my schooling, my social life, and my personal linguistic studies. Needless to say, I haven't made much headway... yet. I would love to assist anyone looking for a... localizer, if you will. I feel something along those lines would help me learn gradually and not burn out while giving me a chance to have a little fun too!

View user profile

cmertb

Admin
Admin
Welcome.

What exactly do you mean by "localizer"?

View user profile
I meant a localizer as in someone who would take a raw translation and transliterate it (i.e. 'No see you long time!' -> 'I haven't seen you for a long time!'). I'd love to assist the site/team, but I can't do too much as is, you know? I feel if I was a 'localizer' for something like a manga scan, I'd be learning more about the raw grammatical rules of Japanese in a 'fun way'. It might be unnecesary, but I would like to try and help.

Sorry if I didn't really explain myself. Embarassed

View user profile

cmertb

Admin
Admin
Well, there's no such thing as a "raw translation". The whole translation process takes place inside a single translator's head, after which they output more or less fluent English. If there are any issues with grammar or flow, proofreaders help reword the problematic parts of the script. So if you want to work with text, you either have to be a translator or a proofreader.

View user profile

[Cross]

Admin
Admin
cmertb wrote:Well, there's no such thing as a "raw translation". The whole translation process takes place inside a single translator's head, after which they output more or less fluent English. If there are any issues with grammar or flow, proofreaders help reword the problematic parts of the script. So if you want to work with text, you either have to be a translator or a proofreader.

Actually, in the real business (i.e. Funimation, BangZoom, Viz, etc) that's pretty much what they do. They get raw translations from skilled translators, then the localizers pretty much adapt the script to something more suited for the audience they're going for. That's why most of Funimation's scripts are rewrites as opposed to completely faithful adaptations of the Japanese, it tends to flow better and make more sense to a Western audience.

Granted for what we do, we don't really make use of localizers at all.

View user profile http://cxcscans.phpbb9.com

cmertb

Admin
Admin
Really? I've seen a couple of Funimation subs recently, they were pretty much normal translations. I don't know what they do with dubs though.

In any case, localization (as a rewrite) has nothing to do with the translation process used in scanlations. We just go for normal translations.

View user profile

[Cross]

Admin
Admin
cmertb wrote:Really? I've seen a couple of Funimation subs recently, they were pretty much normal translations. I don't know what they do with dubs though.

In any case, localization (as a rewrite) has nothing to do with the translation process used in scanlations. We just go for normal translations.

The subs are generally not too tampered with, since they know people watching the subs are the same people who want the honest to goodness stuff. The dubs are where the rewrites come in, because they're selling them to a Western audience that might not have those kinds of sensibilities. Localizers/writers also make the script fit the mouth flaps of the characters.

[Cross] wrote:
cmertb wrote:Well, there's no such thing as a "raw translation". The whole translation process takes place inside a single translator's head, after which they output more or less fluent English. If there are any issues with grammar or flow, proofreaders help reword the problematic parts of the script. So if you want to work with text, you either have to be a translator or a proofreader.

Actually, in the real business (i.e. Funimation, BangZoom, Viz, etc) that's pretty much what they do. They get raw translations from skilled translators, then the localizers pretty much adapt the script to something more suited for the audience they're going for. That's why most of Funimation's scripts are rewrites as opposed to completely faithful adaptations of the Japanese, it tends to flow better and make more sense to a Western audience.

Fair enough... I feel a little stupid for kinda throwing myself out there without asking how everything goes down first, so here's a few Q's for your A'ing-

Q. How does everything on this site go down?
Q. What (if any) help do you need?
-Patrick
p.s. Q. Who's your favorite mangaka? Smile

View user profile

[Cross]

Admin
Admin
TabGuy wrote:
[Cross] wrote:

Fair enough... I feel a little stupid for kinda throwing myself out there without asking how everything goes down first, so here's a few Q's for your A'ing-

Q. How does everything on this site go down?
Q. What (if any) help do you need?
-Patrick
p.s. Q. Who's your favorite mangaka? Smile

A. Well basically it works like this:
1a: Manga Raw Cleaning
1b: Manga Translating
2: Proofreading (if needed)
3: Manga Typesetting
4: QC/Release

A. If there was anything you could do, it would be proofreading, but at the moment we seem to have the spots filled.

A. Shinohara Kenta, author of Sket Dance.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum