You are not connected. Please login or register

Poetic Justice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Poetic Justice. on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Ravona


Admin
Admin
http://torrentfreak.com/leaked-emails-reveal-profits-of-anti-piracy-cash-scheme-100926/

I've been pretty much grinning non-stop ever since I read this. Very Happy


_________________

"Damn it, you can't euthanize people with minty fresh breath!"
View user profile

2 Re: Poetic Justice. on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm

You're evil~

View user profile

3 Re: Poetic Justice. on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 pm

haha that is pretty funny

View user profile http://www.rom.ac/

4 Re: Poetic Justice. on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 pm

cmertb


Admin
Admin
Oh well, I'm sure some other greedy law firm will take their place. Until everyone starts using PerfectDark or similar software.

A more interesting question is, did they try to go after people who didn't pay up?

View user profile

5 Re: Poetic Justice. on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Fail. hahahaha. serves them right? hahah.

View user profile

6 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 am

Bastards...Surprised

A more interesting question is, did they try to go after people who didn't pay up?
Probably not since this was a illegal operation.

View user profile

7 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Shunrai


Staff
Staff
Sep 26, 2010 at 12:43 by Anonymous Poster
Ah, schadenfreude. What a way to start the new week.

i couldn't agree with this guy more you know what they say if you cant make a buck one way there is always another. Which why you shouldn't do any illegal stuff with out protection like a vpn or something to that effect but honestly they were loosing money the main company so whats cutting in a few other people to money that you were loosing in the first place anyways? at least they where getting some back lol

View user profile

8 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm

cmertb


Admin
Admin
Dass Jennir wrote:Bastards...Surprised

A more interesting question is, did they try to go after people who didn't pay up?
Probably not since this was a illegal operation.

Really? I don't see anything illegal on the face of it. Weren't they representing legit copyright holders? Why can't they ask for a settlement?

Are there other facts we should to be aware of that make their scheme illegal?

View user profile

9 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Ravona


Admin
Admin
cmertb wrote:
Really? I don't see anything illegal on the face of it. Weren't they representing legit copyright holders? Why can't they ask for a settlement?

Are there other facts we should to be aware of that make their scheme illegal?

"Last month the firm was referred to a disciplinary tribunal after a long-running probe by the Solicitors Regulation Authority into its tactics in the pursuit of alleged file sharers.
The company has been criticised for sending out thousands of letters to people it suspects of downloading illegal content, demanding payment of a fine to settle the case.

Many who received the letters, which seem to have been based on the internet "IP address" – rather than the physical address – of the recipient have protested that they are innocent, and though hundreds of people are believed to have paid the fines claimed, the Guardian has not found any confirmed reports of any cases proceeding to trial, where ACS:Law's methods and evidence would have been tested."

The problem is that they're demanding money for alleged infringement with very little tangible evidence to support their claim. It also costs a lot more than the amount they demand to defend the accusation in a civil court.
It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.


_________________

"Damn it, you can't euthanize people with minty fresh breath!"
View user profile

10 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:36 pm

cmertb


Admin
Admin
Ravona wrote:It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.
So rather than being criminally prosecuted, a few people might end up [the British equivalent of] disbarred, and the firm fined?

View user profile

11 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Ravona


Admin
Admin
cmertb wrote:
Ravona wrote:It's a case of unethical behaviour on the part of a law firm rather than a legal issue (although there's now a few of those resulting from this leak), which is why the SRA has been investigating them.
So rather than being criminally prosecuted, a few people might end up [the British equivalent of] disbarred, and the firm fined?

Well, breaching the Data Protection Act is a seperate and potentially criminal issue. Since it relates to their duty to protect confidential information (like credit card numbers) rather than their conduct as a law firm.

With the SRA thing, it depends on what the conclusion of the investigation is. But since this is the 3rd time that the head of ACS has been under investigation in the space of 8 years it could be serious.
However, the tribunal won't reach a conclusion until the end of 2011.


_________________

"Damn it, you can't euthanize people with minty fresh breath!"
View user profile

12 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I can't say that this is surprising, yet to be discovered in such a way? That's golden irony. It looks like there's a torrent link with the emails. Anyone dl it? I'm interested in what's all in there.


_________________
"There are no toilets here so I guess you had to elegantly drop a load behind a tree."

View user profile

13 Re: Poetic Justice. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 pm

KazeNoKanta wrote:I can't say that this is surprising, yet to be discovered in such a way? That's golden irony. It looks like there's a torrent link with the emails. Anyone dl it? I'm interested in what's all in there.

Had a sneak peak of it.

The torrent had the full address, telephone number of that dude... xD

View user profile

14 Re: Poetic Justice. Today at 2:34 pm

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum